Friday 3 May 2013

Barcelona - The glorious beach


It’s Labour Day bank holiday today. Paul still has to work as it isn’t a bank holiday in the UK but I have absolutely nothing to do apart from studying for my exam.
            At 10 o’clock I pack up to go to the beach, I put on a cardigan as it it’s been raining in the last few days and the air is still a bit ‘fresh’ as the Spanish would say. I pack my sunnies and almost forget my sarong.
I do the 5 minute walk to the beach quickly as it is still chilly in the shade but the sky is clear with no clouds in sight and it promises another gorgeous day.
I can hear the sea before I actually see it. I stop at the railing, as I always do, to soak in the sight before heading down to the sand.  I was 24 years old when I saw the sea for the first time in my life and it still hasn’t lost its novelty. Remember, Hungary is a land locked country and most of us have to wait a long time for that moment.
There are many people out already. There are the runners in their colourful outfits using the quite time to get some exercise before the wave of tourists hit the sand. A few groups of young Spanish are sitting on the sand chatting amongst themselves and smoking endlessly. And of course there are the first few tourists who can’t wait for the sun to warm up the air and are already sprawled out on their colourful beach towels to soak up as much sun as they possibly can. The couple of girls, who I decided to camp next to, already have the sea in their hair.
In front of me the sea loudly crashes into the shore with huge waves. There are many surfers out today, little black shapes against the sparkling surface of the water. There are a few sailing boats in the distance.
I spread my sarong on the sand and gratefully lie down on it. I don’t take my cardigan off yet but I burrow my feet in the warm sand and close my eyes.
   The sun is getting warmer. I listen to the birds, to the chatter and giggle from the group on one side and quiet talk on an unfamiliar language from the other. I soak up the warmth and let the rhythmic sound of the waves lull me.
Ah. Bliss. 


No comments:

Post a Comment